Did weight loss surgery mess with your hormones? It DOES happen, and you're not losing it! Do you want your sanity back? Are you having hormonal changes and feel all over the place? HRT, commonly known as Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy, has been my saving grace.
I had a hysterectomy in my 20's for a multitude of reasons. Initially, I started with shots, then to patches and creams, and lastly to HRT.
Hormones are very interesting, especially when you experience all of them at such a young age—I had a hysterectomy reasonably young. Trying to navigate levels of estrogen, testosterone, and progesterone proved to be quite a challenge for several years.
We tried shots, pills, and patches. It wasn't until I came across Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) that I noticed any changes for the better. I won't lie, the beginning stages were hell, but each time I did it, I felt better.
The hormone shots made me feel all over the place and seemed to be a lot at once, and the effects were short-lived. The cream seemed to work at times, but you must be very disciplined just as you would be with a pill. Sometimes, I noticed a difference and other times nothing.
When I initially started HRT, it worked relatively quick for me. However, my provider at that time did not have a great system set in place for Hormone Replacement Therapy. My results were not ideal, and I stopped taking hormones all together.
A year had passed, and things got terrible for me, such as extreme night sweats, and my mood was all over the place.
I know I needed to start hormones again to feel better. I researched and found another provider in Fort Worth, Texas. I scheduled an appointment with Kathy Abrahamson, MS, APRN, WHNP-BC, at the FEM Center.
Kathy's caring ways conquered my irrational hormones and put me at ease. Kathy saw my struggles and was straight up with me on what we needed to do and how to do it.
So naturally, when I saw her a few months after the weight loss surgery, she knew what to do. She would test my blood for hormone levels; then, based on the results, she would insert pellets of estrogen and testosterone into my body. We would repeat this process every three months until we found the right levels, and my moods stabilized.
I understand that along with the benefits of treatment and therapies; there are both risks and complications. But the same applies to NOT being treated.
I have been educated on the benefits, risks, and possible reactions associated with any hormone replacement therapy. For my quality of life, HRT is the best route.
📊 The list of 'Desired Effects' associated with Bioidentical HRT that are valuable to me are listed below:
Reduce hot flashes and night sweats, promotes mood neurotransmitters, better sleep, thinking more clearly, and so much more!
Balances hormones, produces calming, anti-anxiety, better sleep, better mood, and so much more!
Increases energy, healthier and stronger muscles, helps in decision making, and so much more!
Increased energy, mood elevator, and tames stress
🔎A SNEAK PEEK inside my treatment would go something like the below:
1. I schedule an office visit every 3 months for my pellets. Upon arrival, I complete a thorough evaluation sheet of my current symptoms.
2. I go back into the examination room and wait to discuss my symptoms and blood work results with Kathy.
3. I wait with an icepack, as shown in my pants on the desired side.
4. We discuss my results and symptoms as Kathy decides what strength my pellets should be.
5. Kathy and the assistant prep the area and then numb it. Her assistant gathers the pellets, and she then inserts via incision through my butt cheek.
6. Lastly, the incision area is closed with either glue or stitches. I get stirrup strips, and bandaids applied over my incision.
7. When I leave at checkout, I always make sure to schedule a few visits in advance to keep me accountable and I have my spot reserved. (Warning: If you don't maintain a schedule with your blood work and pellets, you will not get the desired effect.)
* A minor undesired effect for me is hair on my face (lip area). Some solutions I tried were dermaplaning, threading, and my little Flawless painless hair remover. Waxing is a no-go for my sensitive skin. Flawless is my number #1 go to! I have purchased all 5 products from Flawless. It's quick, easy, and you can take it anywhere!
💉 My blood work repeatedly showed that I needed more B12 and Vitamin D. I take NOW Supplements, Mega D-3 & MK-7 and Pure Encapsulations B12 Folate and it seems to be the only thing that works for me. My body likes the quality of these supplements, as it showed in my blood work when I stopped using them or used another brand.
📞 If you are in Texas, see Kathy Abrahamson at FEM Center. She will take care of you and leave you feeling much better than you walked in. I was a hot mess when I started and now I have my sanity and enjoy life. Hormones are always a priority for me.
To wrap things up... Are you experiencing hormone changes after surgery? It DOES happen, and you are not crazy! I encourage you to get hormones checked out. You, your husband, and kids will thank me later if you're extra cranky! 😂
❓Do you currently get HRT, please share your experience below, we would love to hear from you!
🖥 Don't Forget to check out our patient Bariatric Pre and Post Surgery Online Courses!